Position required: Farmers’ Market Manager
The Aberfoyle Farmers’ Market is a community run, local only, farmers’ market located in the village of Aberfoyle (5 minutes south of Guelph). We are looking to hire a Farmers’ Market Manager for the 2019 season. This is the role for you if you are a self-motivated, technically skilled person with incredible people skills. This position will allow you to work from home using our online market management system for an average of up to 8 hours per week in the off-season (November to Mid-May). During the market season, starting at the end of May, the manager joins our family of vendors on site from 6:30am until 2pm each Saturday until the end of October, creating a combined total of up to16 hours per week.
Online duties from home include:
- Processing applications received online
- Communicating with potential and returning participants by email and phone
- Assigning stalls, managing invoicing and receipt of payments
- Generating reports for monthly meetings of the board and local health unit
- Updating vendor information on our web site
Onsite duties include:
- Directing and assisting with the set up of the market, from 6:30am to 8am on market day
- Interact with visitors as market ambassador
- Interact with vendors to maintain a friendly market environment
- Conduct visitor surveys and record visitor counts
- Direct and assist with the clean up of the market between 1pm and 2pm
Mentoring and Support:
The management duties will be shared between the new market manager and the current market manager to ensure a smooth transfer of skills and knowledge of our systems and processes. The current market manager will provide similar training and support for learning the on-site duties and operations of the market.
Experienced managers are also available to step in to cover up to 3 market days to accommodate summer vacations or illness. In addition to in house training, the manager will be provided the opportunity to attend a one day farmers’ market managers workshop in Toronto each spring, as well as the Farmers’ Markets Ontario Convention and AGM held over two days in February.
The market manager is responsible for scheduling their own work times but is expected to be able to manage communications at least once per day from Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Deadline to apply: September 25th, 2018
- Understand the market mission, vision and values
- Management Experience is beneficial but not mandatory
- Process minded and able to follow market & regulatory policies and procedures
- Ability to move picnic tables, sinks, buckets, signs etc.
- Excellent communication and issue resolution skills
- Able to work reliably with Excel, webmail, google sheets, and WordPress
- The ability to manage and deal well with people (i.e. Vendors, buskers, volunteers, customers, facility staff)
Please send your resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org